Login |  Register

Post subject: Dekalog Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 am 
Some Specialness is Present
I learned from QI that men can't launch ships, so please imagine a champagne bottle breaking across the bow of The Good Ship Dekalog!

In this thread I'll be providing handy links to episodes as and when I upload them. Here is the first episode, appropriately titled "I", and you're more than welcome to watch it here*. "I" is very standalone and could potentially be viewed completely divorced from the rest of the series, but hopefully it'll pique enough interest for you to want to travel further down the road.

The picture quality's quite acceptable (about as good as you'll get from a YouTube upload), and it's clearly ripped from the same Artificial Eye DVDs that I own, so quotes will be exact. There's critical praise aplenty knocking around, but perhaps one commentor summed it up best: "Well that was fucking incredible".

:mrgreen:

*No, HERE, grrr

Last edited by guttersnipe on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Dekalog Reviews
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm 
Special...ish
To what extent will spoilers figure into these reviews? Like, can I read the review for the first episode despite not having seen the other nine? These basically seem like standalones, minus that one guy who's in all the episodes, but I want to make sure I'm not ruining anything by not going into the episodes blind.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:04 pm 
Creator/Editor-in-Chief
I'll let guttersnipe clarify, but from what I understand each episode's story is standalone, but there are characters and themes that appear in multiple different episodes.

The first review does make a few references to other episodes, but I don't recall anything particularly spoilery in it. Perhaps you should wait for guttersnipe to verify though.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:54 am 
Boscalyn wrote:
To what extent will spoilers figure into these reviews? Like, can I read the review for the first episode despite not having seen the other nine? These basically seem like standalones, minus that one guy who's in all the episodes, but I want to make sure I'm not ruining anything by not going into the episodes blind.
Thanks for filling in for me there, Mike.

I don't think I spoil anything at all about the rest of the series in the first review. The series is an anthology insofar as there being a separate story each time, and could probably be understood in any order. However, the episodes are linked by themes, location, parallels and recurring characters, and my reviews will detail these instances. There is indeed a single character in every episode bar the last, but frequently other characters do materialise in later episodes, and invariably pertain to the situation in question: the meetings are often coincidental (it's a long-standing directorial motif), but the implications of their arrival are not.

I'm not going to post Foreshadowing sections in any of the reviews because I'll try to tackle the connections head-on in the main body, as I feel they are very important when you stand back and look at the show in full as a tapestry.

I'll try to get down to brass tacks: the journeys of these characters are essentially resolved in their respective episodes, but any subsequent appearances work as comments on a later scenario: some reinforce a theme, others work as a kind of moral barometer, some arguably supplant the mystery figure (the story of "II" is even used as an example in an ethics lesson in "VIII"). What that means is, I probably will spoil earlier episodes if you're watching them out of sequence.

For example, in my draft of "III" (which I'm rather enamoured of, and probably won't change much before publishment), I elaborate heavily on "I"s Krzyzstof when his appearance bears relation to the current story, thereby definitely spoiling "I" itself.

So the "I" review itself doesn't really spoil anything, primarily because the episode is designed to introduce the formal layout of the programme (I basically make reference to a young lad looking forward to Christmas and it is Christmas in "III"). "II", by contrast, is pretty much a microcosm, beaming themes and characters out to other episodes like a miniature sun.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 am 
You know, I knew it was too good to be true. The link I gave earlier to stream "I" has been removed, which is not only annoying in itself, but the uploader had also upped the rest of the episodes from the same Artificial Eye release in the same quality, which naturally have been snatched away too.

What I can do is offer an alternative link with Portuguese subs only partially over the existing English ones, which might be acceptable if you've got the similar levels of perseverance to my own.

Where possible, I'll extend streaming links with each new review, and trying to provide alternatives when they're invariably closed down.

What I might suggest if anyone wants to follow the show without stumping up the cash for the boxset (and acknowledging that streaming links will probably be removed before long) is to use surrealmoviez, a (massively) comprehensive index for movie downloads. You'll have to join but it's free, and having been on it for nearly six years I can personally guarantee you won't get any spam, malware, erroneous downloads, etc. I dl'd the first two eps of Dekalog from there as a test, and they're exact rips from the Facets DVD box, which is apparently the best version available.

If you do plump for the SMz downloads, either move the links into your adress bar (two eps per link) or grab all of them, drop them in JDownloader and download them together in one movement. I can give you a hand with any part of this if needed.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:55 pm 
Hey, ladies and gents, "II" is go! Having already gnashed my teeth over the removal of all the episode links I was planning to use to invite viewings, I'm afraid my best offer for this episode is here, which is an Artificial Eye rip, but features the somewhat intrusive Portuguese subtitles I mentioned on the other thread. Apologies if that drives you spare.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:44 pm 
"III" is up! It's available to stream here, provided you toggle the subs in the settings to English. A quick look at it suggests it's an awkward word-for-word translation, so it could be, y'know, unfathomable.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:16 pm 
Just had to update the introduction to my "I" review with a comment from a review I read today by Joshua Klein: "Kieslowski achieves that rare feat: a seamlessly unified diverse anthology that gets closer than almost any film to what it means to be human". Couldn't pass that up.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:19 pm 
"IV" is up, one of my absolute favourites in the series, and the review comes complete with a Buffy reference! Streamable here in the usual fashion.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:51 pm 
Special...ish
How does one sign up for surrealmoviez? There doesn't seem to be a registration form.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:39 pm 
Wow, that shows how long it's been since I registered, because time was you didn't need an invite (I guess they had a bunch of spammers or something). Turns out I have one free invite, so I'll assign that to you if you wanna PM me an email address. Presumably you'll be entitled to one too, so potentially we could chain this around.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:01 pm 
Special...ish
Mighty cool.

Incidentally, while I'm here-- Kieslowski also has a trilogy of films about colors. (Or just named after colors, because I don't think you could make films about colors in the same way you could with the ten commandments.) Are they any good?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:41 pm 
Oh my god, yes. The colours are in reference to the French flag, and thematically linked to the principles of liberty, equality and fraternity respectively. The three films themselves are linked by chance encounters and parallels, just like the Dekalog.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:22 pm 
Sorry to rob your of your newsfeed moment in the sun so soon Jeremy, but "V" is up and streamable. Anyone interested may find it easier to obtain A Short Film About Killing, its longer theatrical cut. My review should cover the full film pretty well too.

So far I've been droppin' my reviews on a fortnightly basis, but "VI" might be postponed as I am headed to Greece for a week on Sunday, and I have my much-delayed gallbladder operation not long after I return. We'll see.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:54 pm 
Well... Here I Am
guttersnipe wrote:
Sorry to rob your of your newsfeed moment in the sun so soon Jeremy

there will come another time

Profile  Offline