Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: Dekalog Reviews
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:44 am 
Some Specialness is Present
unkinhead wrote:
Now you're going to review a bunch of films in the film section right? I'll take this momentarily silence as a "Yes". Sweeeet! Can't wait.
I should imagine so, I've got a few in mind. Right now I need a break; I've got personal matters up the wazoo to attend to and then a holiday, so we'll see how free I am down the end of the year (I pushed aside some important stuff yesterday partly so I'd no longer have the Dekalog Season Review hovering over my head).
Jeremy wrote:
guttersnipe wrote:
It also didn't really click with me until I sat down to write this that only two shows here are completely finished!

And i finished half of those!

Congrats, Guttersnipe.
Thanks! I did consult the Freaks and Geeks Season Review and Mike's Buffy Season 7 Review and Restrospective for help in writing it. I'd been meaning to ask this anyway: where are you guys at with the Angel S4 Review?
Zarnium wrote:
You know, I thought I'd have more to say about Dekalog once I finished it, but... I guess I never really did.

The series is good, probably the best of its kind, even if I tend to not be into this sort of thing. I have a higher opinion of the whole series than my complaints about "I" might suggest. (I'm still a bit sour on the idea of using weak-willed atheist characters to tell morality fables, but in retrospect, my criticism may have been premature.)

Your reviews are always great, and in reviewing the show, you got me to watch something that I probably never would've even heard of otherwise. I look forward to anything you may write in the future!
Thanks a lot; I didn't actually know if anyone had completed the series yet. It'd have been nice to have had some more input from you but I guess I didn't say anything terribly disagreeable. Did you have a favourite episode, or moment(s)?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:07 pm 
Well... Here I Am
guttersnipe wrote:
Thanks! I did consult the Freaks and Geeks Season Review and Mike's Buffy Season 7 Review and Restrospective for help in writing it. I'd been meaning to ask this anyway: where are you guys at with the Angel S4 Review?

I wrote and submitted the Cordelia, Connor, and Lorne sections a while back. I still haven't written the Gunn section, mostly because S4 Gunn requires a more analytical write-up than those other three, and I've been too wrapped up in The West Wing to give it the serious thought it needs.

Not sure if the other writers are finished, but if so, I'll definitely be motivated to jump back on the wagon and finish my Angel contribution.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:12 pm 
Upside Down and Halfway to Happyland
I've still got a bit to go before I finish up the Fred section. There's some solid material for her at the beginning and end of the season but I'm running up against a wall trying to find anything of value in the middle where she mostly exists as a point of contention for Wes and Gunn to fight over.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:02 pm 
Upside Down and Halfway to Happyland
Didn't know you were involved in the Angel reviews Freudian. I assumed that they had picked those out before you arrived. Should be an interesting read though.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:07 pm 
Special...ishy
LouisLittForEmperor wrote:
Didn't know you were involved in the Angel reviews Freudian. I assumed that they had picked those out before you arrived. Should be an interesting read though.

The project to finish the Angel reviews has been going on a for a loooooong time. The final pieces were only delegated late last year.

guttersnipe wrote:
Did you have a favourite episode, or moment(s)?

My favorite was easily "V," no surprise there. It presents such a raw picture of what it must be like to kill a person from both inside and outside the law, as well as what it must be like to face your own murder both when you know it's coming and when it comes on you unexpectedly.

I also liked "VII" a lot. Its a bit more standard and pedestrian than the rest, but I thought the moral dilemma it presented was fascinating. As hard as it is to not hate Ewa for how she's treated Majka and usurped her role as Ania's mother, Majka really isn't doing Ania any favors by plucking her away from the people she believes to be her parents. Majka's doing this because its what she wants, even though all of her grievances against Ewa are entirely justified. It's an interesting juxtaposition; something very wrong has happened, but fixing it is an even greater moral wrong.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:54 am 
Glad to hear the Angel collab is coming together, should make for an awesome read.

---

I think "V" is the common favourite. As I mentioned in my review, I think "VII" certainly starts interesting at least, it's when they arrive at Wojtek's that I start to flag as spoken exposition supplants a more engrossing form of discovery and it never quite recovers from that. I seem to take a side far faster than in any other episode and it becomes increasingly difficult for me to see Majka's plan as any way beneficial to Ania.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:24 pm 
So it turns out I completely forgot to provide any links when I started my reviews, which I've now rectified. As you can probably imagine, the web isn't overburdended with Dekalog sites (all the more ground for me to cover), but maybe some of these will prove helpful or illuminating. Incedentally, the Facets site provides some cool high-quality image downloads (the very images chosen for their boxset release), though bizarrely they mistake an image from "IX" as one from "IV".

I doubt I'll have use for the articles section, mind. Unless there's demand for a Top 10 Episodes list.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:38 pm 
Possibly Special?
I think the world needs a top ten Dekalog episodes list. You don't have to feel beholden to making tough decisions between episodes though, you can put them in any order.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 am 
OK, so...

a) It's been exactly two years since I submitted my first Dekalog review and no-one's more surprised than me.

b) The new boxset release has prompted a number of articles introducing the series to first-timers, so I've added some to the links page. I like the paragraph about the music in the Village Voice piece, which I could probably have addressed more.

c) I totally forgot to say that I received said boxset for Christmas, and though I haven't watched the episodes yet, a quick skim reveals different subtitles more in line with the Facets release, so I may have some fresh comments to make when I soon embark on a revisit.

Profile  Offline