Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Avatars
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:06 am 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
A random post about avatars. Why did you choose that picture for your profile?
Mine is simple, S3 is my favorite season, Mayor is my favorite villain, and Faith is my favorite slayer. And the composition is the picture is .... well telling?

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Avatars
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:11 am 
Special...ishy
Something about the lighting in your avatar makes Faith look more like Thea Queen from Arrow than Eliza Dushku for some reason, Alexei. Everytime I see it I think, "Thea! No wait, that can't be Thea."

My avatars are currently my favourite character of whichever show is the best at this particular moment. When the Mad Men season ends in 3 weeks (sigh), I'll need a new one. Fortunately, that's almost exactly when Orange is the New Black comes available. I don't know how to deal with OItNB yet, avatar-wise, because it doesn't have a season end date.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 am 
Not-so-Special
My favorite Gothic band is BlutEngel (German for "blood angel," their favorite euphemism for vampires), and I use their symbol here because it looks like the world's most perfect Bangel joke ;)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:43 am 
Well... Here I Am
I think I'll be mysterious and enigmatic and leave it up to you lot to guess the meaning behind mine.

“Fantasy has never been in its essence about constructing elaborate magical systems for duelling sorcerers or contriving new versions of an enchanted ring. [...] Fantasy is —at its best— the purest access to storytelling that we have.” –Guy Gavriel Kay

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 am 
Upside Down and Halfway to Happyland
Iguana, your name and avatar is a reference to Fallout, if I'm not mistaken?

Funny this thread should pop up, because I just changed mine. I originally went with Spike from the final scenes of "Not Fade Away" because I had recently finished Angel and loved that scene. However, since my photo editing software is awful I had no easy way of tailoring the imagine to the pixel requirements, which meant the avatar was less crisp than I would have liked.

Yesterday I installed a new program that fixed those issues, so I spent a good hour of my day creating a spree of avatars. I have a nice one of Faith circa Season 7, Anyanka in Russia, Lorne and the loan shark, but in the end I went with this one from "Restless". Simply because "Restless" is awesome, the Cheese Man is awesome, and that scene of Buffy walking out into the desert is my favourite image from any piece of art ever.

Speaking of other people's avatars, I love the way they all have contrasting tones. Alexei's is darkly lit and atmspheric, Seele's is simplistic and Iguana's is plain quirky. I originally anticipated that given this site sprung up around Buffy the Vampire Slayer there'd be a slew of similar images used as avatars, and was pleasantly surprised this was not the case.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:28 am 
Unbelievably Unimportant
Sadly, I don't have an avatar because I don't know how to insert one. However, I like mikejer's one because he seems to be "captain" of this site. Sorry bad pun.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Yep, it's a Fallout reference. The picture is a Fallout screenshot, actually.

I originally started using this handle on a gaming forum, where it makes more sense. But I've kept it because, as you say, it's quirky and it keeps amusing me. Iguana Bob and Doc Morbid would be proud.

I like the cheese-man one. Quirky -and- site appropriate.

As for Avatars in general: yeah, we've occasionally had some confusing with multiple Faith and Buffy avatars, but that has a tendency to even out. People like to be unique, I think.

“Fantasy has never been in its essence about constructing elaborate magical systems for duelling sorcerers or contriving new versions of an enchanted ring. [...] Fantasy is —at its best— the purest access to storytelling that we have.” –Guy Gavriel Kay

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 am 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
tridanthiss wrote:
Sadly, I don't have an avatar because I don't know how to insert one. However, I like mikejer's one because he seems to be "captain" of this site. Sorry bad pun.

Poor man :)
While on this thread, go to "User Control Panel" then "Profile" which is to the left, then "Edit Avatar" which is also to the left. There you can change it. Take care not to mess up the dimensions.
There you go :)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:53 am 
Upside Down and Halfway to Happyland
Alexei, is your avatar from a scene in the series? Dushku looks a little too old, and the lighting a little too dark for season 3.

Unless this is the First impersonating the Mayor in "Touched"?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
Freudian Vampire wrote:
Alexei, is your avatar from a scene in the series? Dushku looks a little too old, and the lighting a little too dark for season 3.

Unless this is the First impersonating the Mayor in "Touched"?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that scene is from season seven.

I chose my avatar mainly because I love the shot of Cordelia holding the crossbow. I wanted a memorable scene that wasn't too dramatic or iconic (like a "You're Welcome" scene, for example) so immediately decided on that scene from "Billy", which I always personally liked.

It's funny, FV, that you mention the contrast between everybody's avatars, because I noticed the same thing. Strangely, everybody has an avatar that stands out uniquely and is easily identifiable with the poster, so much so to where it's a bit jarring for me when somebody changes theirs. It's takes time for me to get used to it. One reason why I kept this avatar was because nobody else on the forum seems to have a predominately blue avatar, and I felt it made me stand out a bit more.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:01 pm 
Unbelievably Unimportant
I'm wondering alexi, did you get your avatar from the internet? I'm worried about copyright issues or something.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 pm 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
Monica wrote:
It's funny, FV, that you mention the contrast between everybody's avatars, because I noticed the same thing. Strangely, everybody has an avatar that stands out uniquely and is easily identifiable with the poster, so much so to where it's a bit jarring for me when somebody changes theirs. It's takes time for me to get used to it.

True, true, it just means that a small but selected community has formed around this site.
Yeah its from Season 7 but its kinda a shout out to S3. Its unique style made me choose it.

tridanthiss don't worry about the copy right :)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 pm 
Unbelievably Unimportant
I chose this avatar simply because there is a limitation in pixels so that doesn't leave us with a lot of avatar options. :lol:

And, Buffy is my babe. I really love her expression in this picture, so troubled and yet beautiful.
This picture sheds light on how amazingly brutal Buffy's life has been, look at it, and you can believe it.
Hey, she died twice!
Annnd she's my favorite character, I have unconditional love for strong, badass and sexy female characters and... That's all I can think of about why I chose this as my avatar. :mrgreen:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:46 pm 
Well... Here I Am
What episode is it from, though? I don't recognise it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 am 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
Iguana-on-a-stick wrote:
What episode is it from, though? I don't recognise it.

If your asking me, its from touched, but its somewhat stylized in some picture editing software.
If your asking In-every-generation, my answer is: i got no idea :)

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next