Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Bosc Works Thru Her Daddy Issues [Bosc's Angel S3 Reviews]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 am 
Special...ish
[S1 Reviews] [S2 Reviews] [S4 Reviews] [S5 Reviews]

All reviews in this thread were posted with no knowledge of future events in the series and thus contain no spoilers. Other posts in this thread do not necessarily take this discretion. Consider yourself warned.

"Heartthrob" [60]
"That Vision Thing" [64]
"That Old Gang of Mine" [70]
"Carpe Noctem" [55]
"Fredless" [72]
"Billy" [84]
"Offspring" [50]
"Quickening" [56]
"Lullaby" [86]
"Dad" [50]
"Birthday" [72]
"Provider" [66]
"Waiting in the Wings" [P]
"Couplet" [83]
"Loyalty" [90]
"Sleep Tight" [79]
"Forgiving" [75]
"Double or Nothing" [81]
"The Price" [72]
"A New World" [50]
"Benediction" [80]
"Tomorrow" [60]
Season 3 Review [62]

~~

Well, I've finished SFU S2 so you know the drill. I'm watching "Heartthrob" tonight and we'll see how I feel about that. (Hopefully, I feel good about it.)

Last edited by Boscalyn on Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 24 times in total.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Bosc Works Thru Her Daddy Issues [Bosc's Angel S3 Reviews]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:19 am 
Some Specialness is Present
Still think you should've gone with "That Old Bosc of Lyn". :wink:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:14 pm 
Close to Special
Finish this one already so you can hate on Season 4! I'm excited for that :)

Oh and raving about the latter half of S5, I'm excited about that too.

(You must me somewhat spoiled of the character surprises in the series at this point though right, like where they end up? If not, nice)

- T. S. Eliot

Last edited by unkinhead on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Right thread title, wrong season.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 pm 
Close to Special
Jeremy wrote:

:O

Lol. You're totally right.

- T. S. Eliot

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:26 am 
Special...ish
"Heartthrob" [3x01]
Writer: David Greenwalt
Director: David Greenwalt

Angel wrote:
Shoulda gone to Vegas.

This episode is all over the place quality-wise. At its worst, "Heartthrob" stumbles to the lows of "She" with boring and obvious parallels, pathetic attempts at tension, and lavish detail given to terrible and one-dimensional characters who will never show up again. But occasionally, the episode gives us a moment that reminds us this is the show that gave us such masterpieces as... um... "Judgment."

Indeed, it's tempting to slam this episode for having the typical flaws of a Greenwalt/Greenwalt collaboration, and there's nothing I'd like to do more than viciously attack Greenwalt for his dumb attempts at gags. Here's a sample joke-- the cell phone reception cuts off in the middle of a key statement! Haha, cell phones suck!! How hilarious!!! Wow, this joke was so funny in "She" that we had to recycle it two seasons later apparently!!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!

Okay, so let's see what this episode does better than "Judgment" (which is its obvious point of comparison). Gunn is properly integrated into the gang, which is super cool. I especially love the group dynamic in scenes like when Angel gives them gifts: scenes like these are just totally cuddly and awwwwwww. Unfortunately, where Gunn is perfectly integrated into the setting, Fred is... not. Fred's post-Pylea stress disorder is basically played for laughs which would be fine if her character was even slightly developed beyond that. Indeed, the one moment she attempts to develop beyond hikikomori in this episode, Angel yells at her to go back in her room. So Fred is mostly there to be an adorable nerd girl who just needs to be nudged along back into society, except not because that's basically her sole character trait. Yaaaaaaay??

Lorne is here too, for... some reason. I'm actually not sure what purpose he serves here. In "Judgment" he was used deliberately as a Greek chanteuse or whatever, but more importantly he was aesthetically fascinating. Here the episode seems content to make a single entendre with him: the guy tore his heart out, so he's singing "I Left My Heart In San Francisco," get it!?!?

"Heartthrob"'s greatest flaw is its willingness to coast, going on a lazy voyage through the locales established in the previous seasons. You have the trip to Caritas, the random flashback to Ye Olden Days, the sewers... but none of these locales mean anything. The places Angel visited used to have thematic significance. There are hints of this with Fred, where her graffiti spree on the walls of the Hyperion reminds us of the hotel's time as a monument to paranoia; and yet for the most part the episode is been there, done that.

Most surprising perhaps is Angel's happiness; he's so earnest, so void of angst that it feels like we're watching an entirely different character. The moments of levity in this episode are pretty neat-- I love Dennis, and the final fight featuring James and Angel going at each other with a subway seat and a pair of crutches respectively is great fun. But otherwise this was a surprisingly poor start to the season.

Oh, and the less said about the hilariously awful final scene the better.

60/100

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:01 pm 
Close to Special
But Bosc,

you know what they say...

bites...

pause...

pause...

Life's full of surprises.

*cue ridiculously dramatic music: DUNNNNNNN DUNNNNN. *Darla reveals her surprising full pregnant belly - the audience gasps

Fin.

There's your screenwriting lesson for today folks.

- T. S. Eliot

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:06 pm 
I don't agree that it's a poor start to the season. Imo, it's a fun episode (as with all David Greenwalt eps) with competent themes and sharply written dialogue. The biggest problems for me are the lazy and shoehorned flashbacks, and the sidelined characters (unfortunately a problem not limited to this episode, or even this season). I think you'll enjoy season 3 as a whole. It unquestionably does some things fantastically right, even with its big flaws. :).

And oh yeah, that final scene is terrible, but at least the scenario leads to one of the series best episodes.

Boscalyn wrote:
But occasionally, the episode gives us a moment that reminds us this is the show that gave us such masterpieces as... um... "Judgment."

You did give out three perfect scores last season :P

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm 
Special...ishy
You know, Bosc, you're right: they should've hidden Darla's pregnant belly behind furniture and pillows all season.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:49 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Or at the very least, explained that she'd just been eating too much lately.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:52 pm 
But vampires drink blood.......Can vampires get fat from drinking blood? I want V-Sauce on this right now.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:09 pm 
Special...ish
Jeremy wrote:

This is the season where *SPOILERS* Angel becomes a dad, right? It seemed appropriate.

Flamepillar112 wrote:
Boscalyn wrote:
But occasionally, the episode gives us a moment that reminds us this is the show that gave us such masterpieces as... um... "Judgment."

You did give out three perfect scores last season :P

I mean, I'd like to say that this episode was on par with "Epiphany" or "Darla" (let alone "Are You Now" which is rapidly becoming my favorite entry in the Buffyverse holy shit how did this happen) but it very clearly is operating in the same space as "Judgment" did. But "Judgment" was the better episode because it did a fantastic job establishing we were going somewhere new.

Compare the opening shots of the two episodes: "Judgment" begins with a completely new locale, and a completely new character, and a completely new style. "Heartthrob" begins with... Wes, Cordy, and Gunn all walking into the Hyperion like nothing happened. If we compare the episode to "Bargaining," which episode does a better job convincing us that three months have passed? Honestly, absolutely nothing seems to have changed-- this could have happened mere hours after they got back from Pylea as far as I'm concerned.

J.C. wrote:
You know, Bosc, you're right: they should've hidden Darla's pregnant belly behind furniture and pillows all season.

Thus inspiring John Locke, lol.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:16 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Boscalyn wrote:
This is the season where *SPOILERS* Angel becomes a dad, right? It seemed appropriate.

Sort of. Kind of. Not exactly.

Incidentally, have I ever mentioned that "Heartthrob" is my least favorite season premiere in the Whedonverse? I always hated how it just randomly shoves a pair of new vampires into Angel's backstory, and the role they played in the episode itself wasn't all that interesting, either.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:44 pm 
Special...ish
Yeah. I don't think I mentioned Elisabeth once to give you an idea what an afterthought the two of them were. James looked utterly ridiculous too-- like Tom Lenk but with worse fashion sense.

Speaking of fashion, I have just reminded myself to revert to the "I am watching Angel avatar."

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:34 pm 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
Pfft...I like "Hearttrob".

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next