Login |  Register

Post subject: Re: The Bosc Always Lyns [Bosc's Angel S4 Reviews]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:30 pm 
Well... Here I Am
I must be one of the few people who feels this episode is a bit off and should be funnier than it is. Don´t get me wrong, some bits are funny but as a whole, something is lacking, imo. It also feels they sacrifice a bit of substance for a couple of laughs.

btw, I don´t know if you noticed but the part where Angel is coming back from the streets and Amy shouts "Liam", David and Alexis aren´t even looking at each other because they couldn´t stop laughing and ruined many takes.

What I feel in "Spin the Bottle" is basically what I feel about "Tabula Rasa": something is missing.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:16 pm 
Special...ishy
I feel both play the laughs a little more broadly than is typical for the shows.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 pm 
Unbelievably Unimportant
I feel that very same broad comedy is a welcome relief after the drag that is Angel Season 3 and before the... whatever-you-want-to-call-it of the Season 4 main arc. It's the same reason I think Lorne is a necessity to keeping the show from sinking into its own darkness.

Last edited by Dannflor on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 pm 
Some Specialness is Present
Boscalyn wrote:
"Spin the Bottle" [4x06]
Writer: Joss Whedon
Director: Joss Whedon

Cordelia wrote:
Hey, you two want to stop the homoerotic buddy cop session long enough to explain this?

And here we have it: the requisite Joss Whedon episode of the season. The sad thing is, "Waiting in the Wings" was brilliant, but it mostly just reminded me how bad Angel often is.

I'm not treading new ground by saying this episode is just "Tabula Rasa, Pt. 2", but to be fair, the episode isn't treading new ground either. But maybe that's the point? After all, the episode is all about reliving your adolescence, and the vicious cycle of parenthood.

Although, if we're being honest, I'm not so sure the episode is about anything really. It's mostly an excuse for a lot of really funny jokes at Wes's expense, and for Cordelia to revert to her teenaged self. Which makes me wonder why between this and "Wings," Joss's Angel credits are so heavily rooted in having the characters under a magical whammy? I think it might be an acknowledgement that the show is slipping out of Joss's control... veering wildly out of character... meaning that Whedon is stuck desperately trying to take the reins back from the bizarre decisions of the writing staff.

In any case, you have a competent episode that benefits from confident direction and a hilarious script. Understandably, Cordelia and Wesley are the highlights, because the episode gets to ride off the whimsy of Buffy season 3. Teenage Gunn and Fred are less compelling, because Joss has no real clue what they were like as teenagers, so we just get pot jokes and Gunn playing straight man to Wes's comic antics. I think there was a plot here, but I was too busy laughing at scenes like the "head boy" joke, and the CONNOR MELODRAMA with EPIC ROCK MUSIC backing it.

So while this episode is great, it really just reminds me that in order for me to really like Angel, the show has to renege on everything that makes Angel Angel. Which is a real pain in the ass.

90/90

Good review, but.... 90/90? :P

Dannflor wrote:
I feel that very same broad comedy is a welcome relief after the drag that is Angel Season 3 and before the... whatever-you-want-to-call-it of the Season 4 main arc. It's the same reason I think Lorne is a necessity to keeping the show from sinking into it's own darkness.

I'm with Dann. For my money, both "Tabula Rasa" and "Spin the Bottle" come in seasons that are trying WAY too hard to be dark, so it's a relief, honestly.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 am 
Special...ish
I hope you all don't mind, but I'm taking a break from these because I want to spend the time I can spend watching DVDs catching up on The Americans. I foresee these starting up again in a month or so?

I might be doing polish passes on some of the old reviews where I either didn't give the episode a fair shake (IWRY maybe) or have something I want to say but didn't at the time (Eternity, almost definitely).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm 
Special...ishy
Shame you couldn't have at least gotten to the next episode since it was not only the one to precede a hiatus but it also is where the real controversy of the season starts.

Also Deep Down rocks. I'd fight you over it if I wasn't just a crappy hallucination. :wink:

As for Season 4 in general while I wasn't a huge fan of it as I was watching it, in retrospect there is a lot of richness to appreciate (I think Freudian mentioned some stuff).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm 
Special...ishy
With Angel being regarded as one of the better spin-offs out there I figure I might as well share this crazy imdb list with some pretty solid choices and some REALLY baffling ones.
http://www.imdb.com/tv/spin-offs-we-love/ls062994457/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2901575202&pf_rd_r=11VCSTHY0JF9HE6KE0YA&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_tv_spn_sm

I would have put this under Jeremy's Angel Spin-off perfection article but I'd rather not mess with the overlord right now. I have doubts even this will be on here for long.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm 
Special...ishy
I don't think they really applied any logic to the order.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 am 
Special...ishy
Not even the order so much as what ended up on the list at all. Fear the Walking Dead really?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm 
Special...ish
LouisLittForEmperor wrote:
With Angel being regarded as one of the better spin-offs out there I figure I might as well share this crazy imdb list with some pretty solid choices and some REALLY baffling ones.
http://www.imdb.com/tv/spin-offs-we-love/ls062994457/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2901575202&pf_rd_r=11VCSTHY0JF9HE6KE0YA&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_tv_spn_sm

I would have put this under Jeremy's Angel Spin-off perfection article but I'd rather not mess with the overlord right now. I have doubts even this will be on here for long.

Literally no one gives a shit Louis. Like, ignoring why you think me or anyone else reading this thread would care about some arbitrary list of television programs made by some rando on IMDB-- why do you care?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm 
Special...ishy
I thought it was mildly amusing and was worth sharing to poke fun at it.

Plus you guys seemed to like to frown upon imdb so that's something.

Don't see why it has to be a big thing. Not everything has to be super complex or even important. Just a leaf blowing in the wind. Sorry if your mad about it or whatever.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm 
Some Specialness is Present
I'm very angry at you Louis. But only because you used 'your' in the place of 'you're'.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm 
Special...ishy
Damn, I had a feeling something was wrong.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Simply posting links works well in the Twitterverse; it just tends to feel out of place on a heavily discussion-driven forum. Not every post needs to be important, per se - they should just have some level of substance.

Profile  Offline