Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post subject: Re: Bosc Works Thru Her Daddy Issues [Bosc's Angel S3 Reviews]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm 
Some Specialness is Present
Boscalyn wrote:
I think the universal hate for Connor confirms that the universal hate for Dawn isn't motivated by misogyny.

That was never a concern, nor should it have been. Most people dislike Dawn because she's annoying, doesn't get much to do, and are generally poorly written. I count myself in that category, but I like Connor more, because he was great in Seasons 3 and 5, even in if 4 they kind of dropped the ball.....

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm 
Well... Here I Am
I actually really like Connor's role at the end of S3. He shakes up the status quo and gives the season a much-needed burst of energy in its home stretch.

It's all downhill from there, though...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 pm 
Special...ishy
Flamepillar112 wrote:
I count myself in that category, but I like Connor more, because he was great in Seasons 3 and 5, even in if 4 they kind of dropped the ball.....

He's definitely better in seasons 3 and 5. Problems is, those are only six of his 28 episodes. (Well, not counting him as a baby, but babies don't really count as "characters" in any practical sense.)

I never liked him because he was just so, so psychotic and evil for a character that we're supposed to find sympathetic on some level, largely due to spoilery stuff that Bosc hasn't gotten to yet. Maybe I'd think more kindly of him if we got see more of his life in Quartoth so we could understand what he went through and how he came to be so warped, but... we don't! We're just told that he went through a bunch of terrible stuff that we never see in a place that we know almost nothing about, as part of a plot device that was created just to allow this mysanthropic character to exist and has no other significance to the story. It's all just... concocted out of nothing, and rather cheap and unconvincing.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:12 am 
Not-so-Special
Connor is an interesting one for me, at times i actually feel sympathetic for him and even like his character, and there are other times i despise him. He is meant to be troubled, but i feel they make him so unlikable at times you simply can't feel sympathetic for him.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:47 am 
Not-so-Special
Samm wrote:
Connor is an interesting one for me, at times i actually feel sympathetic for him and even like his character, and there are other times i despise him. He is meant to be troubled, but i feel they make him so unlikable at times you simply can't feel sympathetic for him.

I pretty much feel the same way. I can definitely see how someone might sympathize with him, but I can't say that I really do. I haven't seen Angel in a while, so I can't quite remember all the details, but the scene where Connor tries to suicide-bomb a store just made me angry. I know that they needed a charcter to fulfill the plot's needs, but Connor really could have been a better written. Especially seeing as they wanted him to be sympathetic. And as far as the 'he's just being a realistic teenager' argument goes, I can't say I agree. Hell dimension or no Hell dimension, Connor is a pretentious brat. And all the icky-ness between him and Evil Cordy in season 4 does not help his case.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for liking him, just that I particularly don't.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:04 am 
Jeremy wrote:
I actually really like Connor's role at the end of S3. He shakes up the status quo and gives the season a much-needed burst of energy in its home stretch.

It's all downhill from there, though...

Ha. Faith (or anyone else for that matter) kicking the crap out of him was one of the bets moments in Season 4.

I agree with Samm though, that my Connor hatred went up and down, whereas I was indifferent to Dawn pretty much the entire time.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 am 
Well... Here I Am
He has some interesting stuff in season 4 (I love his speech to Cordelia by the end of the season and I won´t say anything more so I won´t spoil it) but he´s mostly reduced to "teenage with a hissy fit".

Bos, when are you starting season 4?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:11 pm 
Special...ish
As mentioned many times, I'm alternating between seasons of Angel and seasons of Six Feet Under. So when I finish SFU S3 I'll make the S4 thread.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:16 pm 
Special...ish
Finishing SFU S3 tonight, and you know what that means.

I might lollygag a little. Considering rewatching "Eternity" because I don't think my initial review did it justice.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:58 am 
:mrgreen: . Time for you to rip into Angel. (ya know, more than you already have). Either that, or you'll become the biggest S4 defender. No middle ground on this season.

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20