Login |  Register

Post subject: A Series of Unfortunate Events
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:50 pm 
Special...ishy
Apparently, the A Series of Unfortunate Events books are being made into a Netflix original series! I loved these books as a kid, but the movie wasn't so good. I've thought for years that TV would be a better medium for an adaptation given the series' length, so I'm pretty stoked.

This is the perfect time for a new adaptation to come out, IMO. The movie was banking on being a cash-in for the books which were quite popular at the time, and it may have suffered as a result. Now that the books aren't a hot item anymore, I'm hoping that the TV show will be able to be created on its own terms instead of just being an extension of a lucrative media franchise.

Neil Patrick Harris is apparently going to play Count Olaf. Seems like a strange choice, but I have no reason to believe he's unsuited for the role. Only one question remains, then; who is going to play Lemony Snicket himself, the narrator, the very heart and soul of the story's heavy, macabre tone?

Deadline wrote:
Netflix has tapped Patrick Warburton to star as narrator Lemony Snicket in its series adaptation of Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

What??

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: A Series of Unfortunate Events
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:15 pm 
Upside Down and Halfway to Happyland
Aw, I thought the film was excellent, but then my main interest was in the art design and cinematography (Lubezki was DoP) and I haven't read the books and probably won't watch a TV series, so...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:15 pm 
Special...ish
Holy shit

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 pm 
Lubezki was cinematographer for A Series of Unfortunate Events?!?

I thought the movie was absolutely rubbish but then again I don't really remember it at all. I'm not especially a fan of the books either, though the first three are infinitely more tolerable than the nonsensical final few. I think I completely lost track of what was happening and can't recall what VFD was or how Olaf knew their parents or whatever the big mystery was. And any book that begins every chapter with the water cycle is gonna piss me off.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:28 pm 
Special...ishy
I think it's a bit of an underrated film. Carrey's ridiculous theatricality seemed appropriate there, Streep and Connelly were fun, and Browning had quite a bit of presence at a young age (unfortunately, not particularly fulfilled in recent years). Pretty handsome-looking flick, and the score by Newman was quite good as well. And I appreciate that the villain was genuinely trying to kill the children. :lol:

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:23 pm 
Special...ishy
The film suffers from having the plot of three books crammed into less than two hours, with some of the events awkwardly out of sequence. The visual style is great and the acting ranges from good to excellent, but that doesn't save it from feeling super rushed. I assume that the film covered three books at once so that if it launched a whole series it wouldn't have to have thirteen movies, and they didn't want to cut anything or modify the story too much because the fans would complain.

Granted, I haven't seen it in probably ten years, so I may not remember it too well. I just know that even as a kid, I didn't like it too much.

As for the quality of the books themselves, it's been awhile since I read them, but I did read the entire series three times. The plotting is questionable, especially since the author tends to just throw crazy unexplained stuff at the wall with no rhyme or reason in lieu of actually making a coherent mythology, but what saves it is the snappy writing and the dark humor. Admittedly, I'm not exactly impartial since I'm looking at them through nostalgia glasses.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:11 pm 
J.C. wrote:
I think it's a bit of an underrated film. Carrey's ridiculous theatricality seemed appropriate there, Streep and Connelly were fun, and Browning had quite a bit of presence at a young age (unfortunately, not particularly fulfilled in recent years). Pretty handsome-looking flick, and the score by Newman was quite good as well. And I appreciate that the villain was genuinely trying to kill the children. :lol:
Yeah, I really vibed with the humour, from the mislead opening to the translated toddler talk to Streep's character being terrified of her own shadow whilst constantly putting herself at great risk to Carrey's dinosaur impression. I also liked the totemistic (not quite the word I'm after but I'm tired) callbacks to the boy's love of nonfiction and the girl's inventiveness which worked like a kind of ideas inventory.
Zarnium wrote:
The film suffers from having the plot of three books crammed into less than two hours, with some of the events awkwardly out of sequence. The visual style is great and the acting ranges from good to excellent, but that doesn't save it from feeling super rushed. I assume that the film covered three books at once so that if it launched a whole series it wouldn't have to have thirteen movies, and they didn't want to cut anything or modify the story too much because the fans would complain.
If it helps, it did strike me as episodic to the point where I assumed it was drawing from multiple sequential sources, but I was just having so much fun it didn't irk me.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:55 pm 
Special...ishy
Really, the movie is a perfect case of an adaptation staying too close to the source material. The book series is just way too long to properly cover in a series of movies without cutting a bunch of stuff and changing things. However, fans of YA novels often want the plot to stay exactly the same without any regard to whether that actually works in the movie or not, and since these movies are typically designed to cash in on big hits at the height of their popularity, the creators give the fans what they want. The major beats of the plot are all there, but they speed by too fast to have proper impact and a lot of the small but important details get lost, making the film feel empty and by-the-numbers. Harry Potter ran into a similar problem, as well as a couple others I could name.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:57 am 
Special...ishy
Oh, and another thing: if this TV series is going to be made over multiple years, how are they going to deal with the actors aging faster than the characters, especially whatever two-year-old plays Sunny? It's the same problem that Lost faced with WAAAAAAALT, only the kids are the stars and can't be shipped away when it gets inconvenient.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:36 pm 
Well... Here I Am
I loved the books, and I loved the film.

Sure, it wasn't especially well-paced or structured. But it perfectly nailed the darkly comic tone of the series, and Jim Carrey was a delight.

And I really don't need film adaptations to follow books to the letter. Otherwise, you get another Sorcerer's Stone debacle, and heaven knows we don't need that.

Freudian Vampire wrote:
And any book that begins every chapter with the water cycle is gonna piss me off.

Freud, the whole reason The Grim Grotto keeps talking about the water cycle is because it wants you to stop reading it. The series' primary running gag is that Snicket keeps telling people not to read his books.

Also, how can you not love a book that features the line "Ha ha hamantashen!"

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:33 am 
I know that's the reason. The problem was that at that point in the series Snicket was better at making me want to stop reading than he was at telling his story. At least when he filled a page in The Reptile Room with 'ever' (or 'very' I don't remember) that was funny.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:26 am 
Well... Here I Am
i thought the books got more interesting as it went along, since the mythology grew a lot deeper during the second half of the series.

Although Grotto is very much a lull before the storm, situated right between the two best books in the series. So I think I can see where you're coming from.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:13 am 
Special...ishy
Y'all are missing the most important part of my original post: Lemony Snicket is being played by Patrick Warburton.

He's a great voice actor, so I'm sure he'll do a excellent job. It's just that the idea of the books' narration being read in the voice of Kronk or the Tick is hilarious.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:27 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Warburton has a good balance between sinister and hilarious in his voice. So he might actually be a good fit.

Though I'm hoping I won't automatically think "This wasn't really a magic hubcap" every time I hear his voice.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:41 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Well, Netflix released the teaser for the show, and Warburton is... um, decent?

I can't fully overlook his Tick (or Puddy!) persona, but he certainly generates presence, and the dialogue is fully on-point with the books.

Profile  Offline