Login |  Register

Post subject: Rick & Morty - Look at me!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:55 pm 
Lightly Special

How can there not be a topic for this utterly amazing show? You can watch all of the first season for free on the Adult Swim website. And you absolutely should. It is a brilliantly funny show, but it is also extremely dark with a ton of heart to match the nihilism.

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Rick & Morty - Look at me!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:23 pm 
Well... Here I Am
It's also by Dan Harmon, of Community fame.

Never really got into it, though.

“Fantasy has never been in its essence about constructing elaborate magical systems for duelling sorcerers or contriving new versions of an enchanted ring. [...] Fantasy is —at its best— the purest access to storytelling that we have.” –Guy Gavriel Kay

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm 
Lightly Special
Good point! :)

That's a shame you never got into it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Wait, this thing's available online?

Now I'm suddenly compelled to see it.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:36 pm 
Special...ishy
So, so, so funny.

PREPARE TO BE EMANCIPATED...FROM THE BURDEN OF YOUR INFERIOR GENES!!!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 am 
Special...ishy
I saw all of the first season over the last few days, and while I liked it quite a bit, it's often a bit too dark and twisted for my tastes. Also, it seemed like the show recycled the same moral over and over again: "This family is dysfunctional, but look! They actually do care about each other! Next episode they'll hate each other again and make up again!"

I think the season improved as it went on, though, finding a better balance of black humor and being less generically sappy. Rick alone makes me want to watch more. Wubalubadubdub!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:26 am 
Lightly Special
Awesome, Zarnium!

I agree with your criticism that the show recycled that concept over and over a little too much. Hopefully, season 2 will rectify that. Other then that, I felt it was a really great first season that found its legs quickly. There is certainly nothing quite like Rick and Morty.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:21 am 
Special...ishy
The Season 2 episode "Total Rickall" is an absolute masterpiece on multiple levels.

I'd say it and the Rectify Season 3 finale may be the two best episodes of television I've seen all year and I watched them within about 4 days of each other.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 am 
Well... Here I Am
I loved "Total Rickall", too. It at first seemed like Dan Harmon was recycling the plot of Community's "Curriculum Unavailable", but this just took it in such great new directions.

Most sitcoms work by lengthening their concepts - moving the story from Point A to B to C. Rick and Morty succeeds by widening its concepts, adding layer after layer to make them feel more bizarre with each minute.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am 
Special...ishy
Adult Swim finally released a batch of season 2 episodes for free streaming, so I can watch them now, and they're great. I had misgivings about season 1, but season 2 has been a lot more consistent. "Total Rickall" is absolutely hilarious, and is a perfect example of the kind of bizarre, off-the-wall humor that the show excels at. Every second, you're just waiting for the next absurd memory to pop up.

There's also a fair amount of subtle character development going on through the season; you can see Morty slowly becoming more like Rick, and vice versa.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:42 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Okay, as amazing as "Total Rickall" was, that season finale was even better.

Season Two has been mostly strong, give or take a couple of dud episodes (I didn't really care for the second "Interdimensional Cable 2", for example.) But that finale was a potpourri of everything the series does right, and an excellent one at that. The animated format provides the writers with seemingly limitless possibilities, and cross-bred with the general insanity of Adult Swim, we got a story that perfectly combined a crazy sci-fi story (with everything from outlandish designs, innovative planets, and a married couple voiced by Baltar and Six from Battlestar Galactica) with the most touching familial story the show has done yet. The emotional scenes, in fact, provided the only moments in the episode where I wasn't keeling over from laughter.

I can't wait for Season Three. I hope Mr. Poopybutthole is wrong, though, and that it won't take that long to arrive.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 pm 
Special...ishy
What did you think of "Get Schwifty," the episode commonly considered the weakest?

I thought Rick and Morty's story was good, but the B story with the head worshippers was pretty weak. I've seen that same kind of "religion is stupid" story a thousand times already in adult comedy, and I also find it hard to believe that Summer would be dumb enough to fall for the whole thing.

Water T needs to make a comeback, though. Maybe with Mr. Poopybutthole as his sidekick.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:12 pm 
Special...ishy
So, production of animation of this series is handled in Canada, yet no Canadian channel carries it.

I'll try to watch it online, because I was a big fan of Harmon's work on Community.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:13 pm 
Well... Here I Am
Yeah, the religion plot in "Get Schwifty" was pretty lame. On the whole, though, that episode benefited from a strong A-plot (although - I kid you not - it felt to me like the writers had borrowed some ideas from the Johnny Bravo episode "Third Dork from the Sun").

"Interdimensional Cable 2" was just a retread of a first-season idea that wasn't even all that funny to begin with, and it featured a sideplot involving Jerry's penis. Yikes. Oh, and Justin Roiland's only marginally different voices for the various TV characters got old, like, immediately.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:32 pm 
Special...ishy
Jeremy wrote:
"Interdimensional Cable 2" was just a retread of a first-season idea that wasn't even all that funny to begin with, and it featured a sideplot involving Jerry's penis. Yikes. Oh, and Justin Roiland's only marginally different voices for the various TV characters got old, like, immediately.

You're not a fan of the first one? I thought it was the funniest episode of season 1, and its rough nature (the ad-libbing, the obviously similar voices) is the best thing about it.

Haven't seen the second one yet, though I can see how it might get old fast if they keep doing it every year.

Profile  Offline