Login |  Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Supernatural Rewatch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 am 
Well... Here I Am
I´ve started a rewatch yesterday, started with season one, of course!

A few thoughts before getting into the episodes:

1) I am a big sucker for Dean! Sometimes, he does things that are not very right but I am a big fan of Dean. You can even say I am biased towards him.

2) The guys are so young! Watching these early episodes just amaze me because they are so damn young.

3) Season 1 is not very well liked by me and by what I read in lots of forums, my opinion is shared by a lot of people. Season 1 has a lot of monsters of the week cases and a lot, not very interesting. It has some good episodes towards the end but overall, a weak season.

4) Does anyone wanna join me in the rewatch?

Now, onto the episodes:

Pilot - It´s a good episode but somewhat average. Like I said earlier, the moment Dean shows up I am hooked. The guy might have lame jokes but even that, I find funny. Also, like I said, I am bit biased towards him.
In the beginning, we see that Dean and Sam could not be more different from one another. The way they meet up is funny, though and reminds of "What is and Should never be".
The case of the week is okay, I guess but it parallels the boys: they can never come home. And now with Jessica and the chance for a real life for now gone, Sam is on board with Dean to find his dad.

Wendigo - An average episode but it´s bearable because of the interactions between them and Dean one-liners.

Dead in the Water - First of all, Amy Acker guest-starts. She is amazing, in everything she does.
I actually liked this case and we see that Dean may have layers, after all.

Phantom Traveler - How funny is watching Dean freak out about getting into the plane? Another average episode, but we get some other hints about how demons work. We see they can possess people and leave a sulfur trace behind.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Supernatural Rewatch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:11 am 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
I'll be happy to join you for when I'm finished with my rewatch of "Angel".

Be warned though, I find some of it entertaining and some of it repetitive and boring, so I may not always share the love :twisted: . I watched the first seasons with one of my kids (my daughter who also looooved Dean) and haven't seen everything of the later ones.

But it may be fun to watch it and compare opinions in here, so I'm all for it.

But (another one), I'm not sure I want to go through the pain of watching season 1 again. So, I'll join you later, when you'll come to the more interesting plots and character development . I don't remember if some of it starts in season 2 or 3.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:55 am 
Some Specialness is Present
I actually started my rewatch yesterday. I've noticed so many things just from the pilot... that reviews thing is looking more and more likely, even if I just post them on tumblr. Because oh my god, this show. XD

I think season one gets a bad rep just because it's not the best season. But I don't think it's bad at all. I mean, "Faith" is one of my favorite episodes.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 am 
Well... Here I Am
Bloody Mary - This one creeps me out everytime. It´s really spooky and it reminds me of some stories I´ve heard in highschool that used to freak me out.
So, the case of the week is good but what about our characters?
This is more to do with Sam. In here, we learn that Sam had nightmares of Jess dying days before it happened and he didn´t say anything, so that he could fit in, and have a normal life, like the Sam in the mirror said to him.
So this little secret and the fact that he didn´t tell Jess about his former life make him a victim to Bloody Mary, who targets people with secrets that caused other people to die, even unwillingly like Sam and Charlie who had absolutely no fault at how things would play out.
I like the final scene with Jess appearing to Sam on the road. By helping Charlie and telling her to forgive herself, Sam has started to forgive himself in the process.

Skin - This episode had a lot of potential but the execution was a bit sloppy and the result was a bit disjointed.
But I liked what he learned about Dean, even if it was the skinwalker talking because 1) he was downloading his memories and thoughts and 2) as we are gonna learn later on, demons sometimes speak the truth just to mess with the heros or good guys, or whatever.
We already knew that Dean had low self-esteem but in here, we find out that he is actually angry that Sam left him to go live a normal life and that Dean had to stay with John and maybe leave some of dreams behind. Also, in the talk he has with Becca, he considers himself to be a freak and alone. That ties in with the pilot when he says that he could have gone hunting alone for Dad but he didn´t want to. He wants some kind of tie, he doesn´t wanna feel alone and that´s another thing he envies about Sam: his friends.
Dean states that in their line of work, it´s hard to maintain friends or attachments that don´t know about their lives and what they do but Dean also craves that. He might have a point but having friends or some kind of connection also saves us from loneliness, detachment.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:51 am 
Well... Here I Am
Hook Man - An interesting case of the week with some tidbits about the brothers:

Sam relates to Lori in a way, when she says that everyone keeps dying on her. Sam feels guilt in Jess´s death, most probably because he thinks he could have prevented it.
Also, it seems that Sam isn´t interested yet in the "jobs", he wants to find John and Jess´s killer so that he can move on, perhaps. He doesn´t want this life.
As for Dean, he is still following orders from John. It seems to me that Dean is putting John in some kind of a pedestal and does everything without question. Unfortunately for Dean, that pedestal will gradually fall and it wil be another blow for Dean.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:03 pm 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
I clearly remember that Buffyholic: Dean was the perfect soldier, he was raised as one. Both brothers call their father "Sir", which sounds very army-like to me.

Obeying is also a mean to not be abandoned: Dean seems to feel like his father does everything to protect his little brother, but not so much him. Straying from the path would mean betraying what he perceives as the only link to his father. It's also the only way to get his father's approbation, make him proud of him. It was "easier" for Sam, because John and Dean always tried to give him some semblance of normality.

This is why season 1 can't be -totally- dismissed, it sets up some of the reasons of Dean's issues. I'll be joining you with the last episodes of this season, those that are relevant to set up the season 2 arc :).

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:52 pm 
Arach, have I gotten you to take a look at my reviews yet? Season one is beautiful. It doesn't get enough credit. It sets up a lot of both Dean and Sam's characters from the first episode: Dean's control/responsibility issues, Sam's either/or dedication, their relationship with John and how that affects everything else... sexy Amy Acker bathtub scenes...

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:04 am 
Well... Here I Am
Bugs - Not a very interesting case of the week, but we get a lot on Sam and Dean, mostly Sam.
We now know what happened, most of it, between Sam and John. And we also find out that John alwys kept tabs on him, even when Sam thought otherwise. Sam may have a valid point and complaint, but Sam made some mistakes too, like when Dean told him: "It´s a one-way street, Sammy. You could have picked up the phone".
John made mistakes but so did Sam but he kind of doesn´t get that because he just seems focused on his own pain. That´s why he doesn´t fully get why Dean is so hurt when he finds out in "Dark Side of the Moon" that Sam often dreamed of getting away and being with another family.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
Ever-so-Slightly Special
Yep, I read your reviews, thanks for the hard work. Your love for the series shows and so does your bias towards Dean ;). Don't take me wrong, I largely prefer to see reviews made out of love than purely factual ones.

However, I don't have the same love you've got for Supernatural and I don't feel the need to analyse every episode like I can do BtVS or other shows whose themes or characterization kept me on edge. For whatever reason, I enjoyed the show, but I don't really connect with the themes and characters: I wouldn't be that upset if Dean or Sam had died (and not resurrected...). The two characters I found real empathy for were Ellen and Bobby.

I've just watched the last episode of S1 and... I was a bit bored. The pattern of the brother's behaviours feels (to me) like they're always the same, so does the dialogues, on repeat with different plots, for the 5 or 6 seasons I've seen. I've watched Buffy several times and I never felt that way. It's just a question of taste and connection: I don't care enough about Dean and Sam to be drawn to it. I felt more connections and empathy for the characters in the low budget UK show -with silly plots - "Being Human". To be fair, I'm not sure I'll do the entire rewatch :P. It's not about the quality of the show, for example, I enjoyed every episode of Battlestar Galactica -a quality show- but I didn't feel much for most of the characters. So, now that I know all about the intrigues, I'm not sure I'd take pleasure in a re-watch of BSG either. But don't let my personal feelings deter you from loving Supernatural, I love your enthusiasm and I'll go on reading your reviews with pleasure.

By the way, on the other post (Educated bickering), could you be as kind as to add the links to your reviews on the first post ? You announce a new one with a new post, but edit your first, so we don't have to go through the pages to find them ? That would be - to quote Dean - awesome !

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm 
Ha. Yeah, it's funny, because when I first watched it I was a Sam fan. And I still love him-- Phantom Traveler is more about Dean, but Bloody Mary is going to be a Samfest. So that'll be fun.

Yeah, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree... In my opinion, the show goes from being pretty good to Really Good around season three. That doesn't mean there isnt' a lot in the earlier seasons, though.

I'm certainly not trying to discredit Buffy. I've watched Buffy many more times than I've watched Spn. I just... I think I've said this before, but I love them for most of the same reasons. Character development and continuity.

Good point about the first post: I'll go do that now.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:40 am 
Well... Here I Am
Funny, when I first started watching, I was immediatly drawn to Dean and his emotional baggage and low self-esteem and found Sam to be rather bland, actually.
Sam started to go higher in my consideration after season three.

Okay, back to the rewatches:

Home - This is one of season 1 favorites. It´s creepy, funny and emotional.

Creepy - Some people claim they don´t like horror movies with children in it, in my case it´s haunted houses. It just creeps me out and then, I start hearing noises in my own house.
The plumber that has its hand in the sink or even the man on fire in Sari´s closet creep me out.
Funny - Missouri talking back at Dean.
Emotional - The way Dean states he doesn´t wanna go back there and Jensen´s expressions say a lot, especially with the phone call he makes to John.
Also, Mary saving the two boys from the polteigeist and Sam essentially watching his mother for the first time.

And I may be wrong but for me, when Mary says "I´m sorry" to Sam, that just seems like foreshadowing, to when we found out that she promised Sam to Azazel in exchange for John´s life. Of course, at the time she didn´t know it would be Sam, but she made a deal anyway.

Aslyum - Not very interesting, although I like the girl, Kat, being all strong and assertive and it´s her boyfriend who is scared.
On the character front, we have the boys bickering again because of John. Dean wants to follow John´s orders while Sam wants to go look for John.
I wonder what Sam told Dr.Ellicot about Dean.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:08 am 
Quote:
to when we found out that she promised Sam to Azazel in exchange for John´s life. Of course, at the time she didn´t know it would be Sam, but she made a deal anyway.

Mind = blown. I haven't gotten to Home yet, but I'll look out for that.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 am 
Well... Here I Am
Scarecrow - What an amazing episode. This case of the week is pretty good and it´s not all black and white like so many cases before.
As for the boys, they went their separate ways for a while again because Sam stands up to John while Dean blindly follows his orders.

Faith - One of the best for season 1. Again, we have shades of grey and we get torn and don´t know what to think. Poor Layla! And Julie Benz plays that role well.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 am 
Well... Here I Am
I forgot about Meg. When I talked about Scarecrow, I forgot to mention Meg, a character I love.

No offense to the later actress playing her but this one, Nikki Accox, just wins me over and plays her with just enough edge. And she is an interesting adversary to the Winchesters.

Route 666 - Just an average episode but we do know more about Dean. Dean who always a rough exterior and cracks jokes in order not for us to see that he´s really a damaged person and kinda lonely came face to face with Cassie, the girl who dumped him (that was probably a first; I´m pretty sure he does all the dumping) after telling her about the family secret (a professional no-no and also a first for him).

Nightmare - I feel sorry for Max, I do and when they did to him was wrong, but he also was wrong in doing what he did. And apparently, Sam´s mom and Max´s mom died the same way who makes things a bit more creepy. What does the thing want with Sam and what exactly is happening to Sam?
Once again, we see Dean cracking joke but deep down he´s worried and doesn´t know what to do.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 am 
Most people hate R666, but I love it for what it says about Dean. I'm so excited to get there-- because it's an example of how Dean sees himself as a hunter. That's who he is.

Both Dean and Sam have two "serious" relationships in the show. Cassie and Lisa for Dean, and Jess and Amelia for Sam.

Both Lisa and Cassie knew about Dean's hunting life. He couldn't have a serious relationship with Cassie without telling her.

Neither Jess nor Amelia knew about Sam's history, because he doesn't understand the idea of a middle ground.

Profile  Offline

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49  Next